Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hotel name that's a load of...


I know better than to snigger at the various references to 'Colon' you get in South America: Teatro Colon, Paseo Colon and so on. It's nothing to do with bowels, but the non-Latinised form of Columbus, the man to blame for all this.

But what the explanation is of the name of this hotel just round the corner from my hostel - Faecys - I don't know. Its muddy brown colour scheme doesn't help.

At least I now know that a Cementario isn't full of cement, but dead bodies, and a Ferreteria is a shop selling iron things, not ferrets.

3 comments:

  1. I miss your posts about cycling in London, but I am glad I found your 'travel' blog. A new place to look each day, I really enjoy what you have posted so far.
    By the way, do not try to think to hard on that colourscheme.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Presumably owned by the Federacion Argentina de Empleados de Comercio y Servicios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. christania’s “lej en cykel” bikes are rolling across the city. The system, less than a year old, is funded by christania’s municipal government. It is currently only in one of christania’s 22 administrative districts. Although a 2nd generation system, there are 12 “Houses” in this district, each with around 40 bikes. The yearly subscription cost is the equivalent of $2 US, and allows the use of a bike for up to four hours at a time. In less than a year, there have been 6,000 subscriptions sold. There are larger 3rd generation systems in the world, which do not have a subscription to bike ratio as big as that.

    ReplyDelete