Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pax vobiscum: A super hostel in Buenos Aires

After nearly two weeks in Buenos Aires, I'm moving out to start updating the regions. One of the pleasures of BsAs is the hostels: there are dozens and dozens of them, and the competition means you get a lot of facilities for your peso. Free internet and wifi, fresh sheets and bed made for you every morning, breakfast, 24 hour access and private lockers come as standard.

I stayed a week at the Pax Hostel, at Salta 990. Run by an Australian woman, Kaylee, and her bloke Nico (although he's apparently up in Iguazu running the Stop Hostel), it's a fine example of a really good little place to stay that gives you loads of well thought-out extras.


For instance, the bottom bunks have privacy curtains round - a boon not just for me, inside, but I suspect for everyone else in the dorm, who probably don't want to see the contents.


There's also free bike hire - I had a lovely half-day clanking round the ecological reserve and the parks of Recoleta - and a fine breakfast that includes fresh squeeze-it-yourself orange juice.


And even free international phone calls, much to your mum's delight. Though, to judge by this young lady, her mum's phone conversation was less than riveting - she was emailing a friend during the call...

All this for just 40 pesos (less than six quid) a night. I can thoroughly recommend Pax. It's well situated, really good value, and in addition to the extras, the staff are very friendly and helpful (hi to David). I hope my mum hasn't good to used to me calling so often...

No comments:

Post a Comment